I receive a daily devotion each day from the company which I purchase Elleigh's homeschool curriculum. They are always something that I need to hear but this one was the best yet for me. This is something I really struggle with-being mom and teacher and finding the balance and switching hats at the appropriate time. It is SO difficult to grade a paper that is not what you wished for. Afterall, that is your child and you always want them to do the best and you know that it is your responsibility to find the problem and get a handle on it and at the same time you are wondering if you have done all you can do to teach the material properly and are you creating a wedge because you are their disciplinarian 24/7. My hope is that as this says, we will draw closer to each other and most of all to the Lord. This really spoke to me concerning the many roles of God in our lives just as we play many roles in our children's lives. Even if you are not a homeschooler I think you can relate to this in many different ways. May this touch you in some way!
Here it is:
As much as I enjoyed homeschooling my children, there were days when I longed to be only a mother. Moms have the fun job of displaying tenderness, kissing away hurts, and telling their children they are wonderful. But God had an additional task for me. He also wanted me to be my children's school teacher. I had to take out the red pen and correct their papers to challenge them to study harder. Finding loving ways to critique their work and push them was not always easy. My children were forced to respect and relate to me both as mother and teacher.
I feared this dual role would create an emotional distance between me and my children. As the homeschooling years went on, I realized those fears were unfounded. The relationship I had with my children as mother gave me opportunities to minister to their personal issues and concerns. The relationship I had as their teacher provided moments for counseling college and careers choices, editing job resumes, and more. I became the resource my children went to first when they needed help, and we grew even closer.
God's multiple roles in our Christian walk is also amazing. He is our loving Abba Father, Savior, best friend, and Holy God. He commands our fear, devotion, love, and respect - all the while teaching us to grow closer to Him. He is the first person we should run to for our needs. He is both a gentle Shepherd and a jealous God who loves us with passionate, unconditional love. Praise Him today for being your heavenly Father and all that you need!
Saturday, October 6, 2007
Much needed devotion
Posted by
The Hall's
at
Saturday, October 06, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment