Thursday, July 3, 2008

The appointment

First of all thank you so much for your encouragement and prayers! Your support means a lot to all of us! So, I saw the neurologist this morning and she was great. No, she did not diagnose me but she was very thorough and she listened and she took her time asking me lots of questions and she did several evaluations. She feels that based on her evaluation the issue is not neurological. She says that based on me having an abnormal ANA (test that indicates the possibility of autoimmune disease) and the symptoms I am having and my family history that it is autoimmune but she said that it could take years before I have a diagnosis. Autoimmune diseases are often very hard to diagnose and sometimes take a while before lab results will indicate exactlty which one you have. She said that some of my symptoms were like MS but that based on her evaluation of me she did not feel like it was MS and at this time she did not see a need to do any further neurological testing. She recommended me seeing a rheumatologist (which I suspected that was where I would wind up in the end). My blood pressure was also high when I was in her office so she wanted me to get with my general physician on that. She said we needed everything completely under control in order to try and make a diagnosis. So, I called my GP when I left the neurologist and they said for me to come on to their office this afternoon. My bp was down in her office but she went ahead and gave me something for it and we discussed what I had found out from the neurologist and she agreed that I needed to see a rheumatologist and also agreed that a diagnosis may be further down the road than we would like. I should hear back in a week or so on when my appt is. I feel relieved that they are not telling me I have something terrible at this point but I do want answers. Patience-God is once again teaching me a lesson in PATIENCE!!! Thank you my friends for everything!

2 comments:

The May Family said...

We are praying that God does provide you with the patience you need to get through more waiting, more testing, more appointments, and more of living . We are happy that the doctors want to give you an accurate diagnosis than to give you a false one. If I was there, I'd give you a day or tow off. however, you can know that I am praying for God to put people in your life to minister to your needs. Miss you all oodles! Elizabeth

The Hall's said...

Thank you so Elizabeth. We miss y'all too! It seems so strange to drive by your old house. They have been working on it.