Thursday, September 27, 2012

Productive?

I REALLY need to be blogging more often.  I forget so much when I get behind!  I would love to report that I have been extremely productive around here during my blog break BUT that is not the case.  I have been babysitting, going to FW (Dr’s appts of course-more on that soon!), taking girls to dance and soccer practice, etc…  I guess that is productive but I need to be more productive!

Last Saturday I finally did something I have been wanting to do for a while.  A couple of weeks ago I bought all the ingredients and they sat on my counter until Saturday and we finally “cooked” it up!

NOT your normal ingredients, huh???det1We mixed up a big batch of dishwasher detergent!  I did not get a picture of the final product but it made a huge container and because there are no fillers you only use a tablespoon per load and it seems to be cleaning well!  I have the receipt with the exact costs but the ingredients above were around $10 and I did not use nearly all the epsom salt or citric acid.  We will see how long it lasts but for sure it is much more economical.

AND next we made liquid laundry detergent.  It was a little more difficult to make but not hard at all.  There are recipes for powder detergent as well and I might try it next for comparison.  This appears to be going to last me for a while.  It made the 5 gallon bucket full and when I pour it into the container I use for dispensing I add 1/2 liquid and 1/2 water so it makes 10 gallons total.  The Fels-Naptha bar was .98, Borax was just over $3, Washing Soda was around $3 also.   I am anxious to see how long this lasts but no doubt once again that it is WAYYYYY cheaper!  det3The grated soap looked like grated velveeta!det5Finished product.  It actually gels after a while.  You can also add essential oils but we did not in this batch.  It just smells soapy as opposed to perfumy.  det7

SO, I guess I have been a little productive!!! 

AND because I know some grandparents who could care less about my soap and much more about their girls:

hc12This was one of our 4 days with no tears!  Thank you Lord!  Yes, I said 4 days.  The past 3 days have been MANY tears again…hc121hc122hc123hc124hc126

Posting pics of our girls IS PRODUCTIVE, right?!?

No comments: