Monday, July 12, 2010

Never Underestimate

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE...

Sallie Hall!

This is a short video of a few of the things Sallie has learned. We are currently doing a mixture of signs along with encouraging her to be vocal along with the signs. The main goal is not only to get her to do the signs but to understand the meaning of them and to use them at the appropriate times. This takes a lot of work and concentration on our part. It is easy for us to get busy and not take the time to incorporate these signs along with words. It is true as we have always thought that she would rely on signs once she was introduced to them. So we have to be adimant that she use "words" along with the signs. The words may not pronounced correctly (because she does not hear all of the sounds) and/or have the ability to pronounce them we would but one huge step is that she is able to hear the number of sounds and repeat. You will notice in the video when we say thank you she repeats 2 "words" over and over. The you does sound similar to you but just the fact that she is hearing what we want her to say/sign and is attempting to say 2 words is big for us! Because listening does not come natural to her we have to constantly prompt her to listen. You will notice in the video when I change to more it takes a minute for her to process that I have changed words and then she changes signs and you will hear her say more which she says pretty well. Last week she took Elleigh some clothes to her and she looked at Elleigh and told her (signed) you tell me thank you! That was great! Making that connection is just what we are wanting! She LOVES her therapist and LOVES to go. The BAHA has been the best thing we have had so far so we are anxious to see where we go with it.

On Thursday she will have and ultrasound and VCUG of her kidney and urinary tract. The test is not a big deal but it is for her. They do a cathetar and then fill the bladder which they say is a little uncomfortable but the big thing with her is she is just so scared of what they are going to do to her. I would rather taking a beating than have to put her through it. The sensitive side of this mama just wants to say no, we aren't going to do it but the take care of business side of this mama knows that this is just part of maintanence with her and that we do have to keep a check on things. So, please pray for her comfort and peace on Thursday morning. I pray for a peace that can only come from God.

(please overlook her not having pants on-I thought you couldn't see!)







NEVER UNDERESTIMATE...

Gravel on the face:

Poor Millie took a spill face first into gravel and then slid. It busted her lip and then you can see her nose. It got her on her forehead at her hair line as well but you can't see that too well in this pic. We were at a couple's in the church and Millie is so shy and she had just opened up and was playing with the kids and she had her little accident. Before this, Sallie touched a glass door that had been cracked by a rock (we did not do that!) and it shaddered when she touched it. Thankfully, it did not cut her. It could have been bad! Always something when we are around!!!



NEVER UNDERESTIMATE...

How quickly children grow up!

Elleigh is in OK this week on a mission trip with our old church. She went a day early to spend the night with a friend. Her friend took these great pics of her! I love them! However, I find myself just looking at them and wondering WHERE DID MY LITTLE GIRL GO??? I just can't explain it. I mean I have always thought they grew up too fast but there is just something about your little girl suddenly becoming a woman that is humbling...

One thing hasn't changed-when she was a little girl I would look at her and think she is precious and now I still look at her and think wow, what a beautiful young woman!





NEVER UNDERESTIMATE...

The power of prayer!

Many of you have prayed for our friends the Thomas'. This is a link to a feature on Jeramy:

http://www.rmhdallas.org/our-families/a-long-journey-of-hope/

No comments: