Sunday, March 16, 2008

Always Excitement at the Hall House!

We have been very thankful for the beautiful spring weather we have had the past week. The girls love playing outside and A has been working in the yards also.

We even ate outside a couple of times this weekend. Notice the baby doll on the table. This is the pile of limbs from 2 weeks worth of work. Elleigh insisted I take her picture with the pile because she helped her daddy pick them up and get them in this pile. She did work hard!
We all know that our day can't be complete without excitement which usually involves someone getting hurt. A had to go to work Sat afternoon and he was about to leave and the girls were outside and I hear screaming and he yells for me to come out NOW. Great, he doesn't get too excited so it must be bad. Sallie had jumped up in the swing and when she did she flipped backwards and landed on her back and the back of her head. She had a big knot on the back of her head and she was crying. We get her in and A goes on to work. No big deal, just a bump on the head (we thought). Millie needed to be fed and Sallie had stopped crying so I go on to prepare a bottle for Millie and when I get in the living room Sallie has layed down on the loveseat and I am still not thinking anything because she was upset, etc. Then I notice she is acting groggy and within minutes she is throwing up everywhere. I am not a freak out mama at all but it did scare me because I knew if she was throwing up that could mean concussion. You would think as much as we had been through especially with Sallie it really would not have scared me but as many bumps on the head as they have had, we had never dealt with this. So, I call A and we decide to call the emergency line at our pediatrician's office. Now, that I am writing this I am thinking what happened to Millie eating at this time-I guess I gave her to Elleigh-who knows. She survived! Anyway, I call and the nurse tells me to check her pupils. FYI for moms who might experience this-look for their pupils to be different sizes, clear or bloody liquid coming from their ears and or nose, and vomiting more than once. These are signs that they need to go to the ER. As far as I could tell her pupils were the same (she was not really cooperating with me). She tells me if she throws up any more to take her to the ER and to not take my eyes off her for 2 hours because that is the most critical time. She told me she might be dizzy but just to watch her. I walked her to the bathroom and she was definately dizzy and she was just in another world. I sit her down and try to begin cleaning up the throw up that was everywhere. I told Elleigh do not take your eyes off her while I clean this up. In the meantime, Millie is screaming wanting me to pick her up and Lizzie has decided that various walls in the house would look better with red scribbling on them so she proceeds to take care of that with a crayon and I am still trying to decide whether we should just go on and take Sallie to the ER. I am hurrying trying to clean up the throw up so I can get back to her and it hits me that I need to stop and pray for her. I was frantic yet I had not done what I should have done first. So, I stopped everything and grabbed her and prayed. I got up and finished cleaning and put the covers in the washer and I got back and she was back to being normal Sallie. Praise God! She has been fine ever since. As for the crayon on the wall, who knows when I will get that off. As Lizzie would say, "oh well."
This was a long post but I will leave you with words out of the mouth of Elleigh after all this had happened and we were trying to get ready to eat dinner which is always an interesting time at our house because Lizzie thinks when you go into the kitchen she should get to eat instantly and she lets everyone know how unhappy she is about it:
Elleigh: "I just want to sit down and cry! These kids are about to drive me crazy!"
I can't imagine where she could have heard something like that!!!

1 comment:

The May Family said...

Can you imagine the kind of mom elleigh will be? I am so glad that when the rubber hits the road, she knows that real moms trust the Lord. You are doing a wonderful job. And besides, crayon comes off with the Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, just ask Abigail and Julia!