Monday, January 12, 2009

The dresses

Several people have asked me to see a more close up image of the dresses I made the girls for Christmas and I wanted a better picture of them as well so here they are. I made them all 3 bows to match and the last time Millie wore hers she lost it somewhere. That happens a lot with Millie. Several people have also told me they didn't know I sewed. Well, I really don't. Aaron's mom is a very good seamstress and I kept her busy making things for Elleigh and Sallie when they were younger. Bless her heart, I always have lots of ideas floating in my head and she would do her best to make whatever I came up with. So, when I knew they were moving out of the country I decided I had to do the sewing for the girls. I knew the basics and I knew that if I tried hard enough I could do it. The Christmas that we moved to TX A's mom and dad gave me a sewing machine for Christmas. Well, I would get patterns and material and start projects but never finish them. I am a perfectionist and because I couldn't make it perfect I would get frustrated and just give up. This summer while the Hall's were here with us I asked her to make the tops that the girls wore in the picture on our Christmas cards. I loved being able to match them all and get what I was envisioning in my head so I decided I was going to complete something and I made Sallie's b-day outfit. I gave up on being a perfectionist! These dresses are very simple to make. Maybe soon I will move on to another style. I love fabric! Really, I could spend all day looking at fabric and I come up with so many ideas. I love the creative outlet. The problem is the time and patience to bring it all together. So, that's my sewing story.

6 comments:

Jennifer said...

Those look like pillow case dresses. I saw a woman selling them at the downtown Lakeland farmer's market recently and she wanted $20 each for them! Not a bad little profit for something that only required 1/2 a yard of material (well, for a toddler dress anyway).

The Hall's said...

Yes Jennifer it is the pillow case style dress. It totally depends on the fabric you use. This fabric was a little more expensive but I still did not have a lot in them. I had no more than $12 each in these.

JGWmom said...

So cute, Cameron! I always aspired to sewing John Johns for the boys with appique's and monogramming, but I never got around to it and now they are too big. I don't know if you are familiar with Kelly's Kids clothes that you buy from a catalog party (they were big in MS and Mobile), but I loved them with their monograming and cute fabrics. I had a party when Justus was little and I liked the adult stuff for me, but with two now KK is just too pricey. I learned to sew in College (old boyfriend's mom taught me), but without practice and I don't have a machine, I have lost what little knowledge I had. You have done wonderful, though! Maybe one day I will try again. Your right, the creative process is fun and even therapeutic and you cannot beat how much better it is on the pocketbook. :) Love ya!

The Hall's said...

Thanks Shannon! I do love little boy Jon Jon's too and you know I am all about anything monogrammed. My sister with the 3 boys always put them in the cutest Jon Jon's! Yes Elleigh had a good bit of Kelly's Kids and Fast Friends and Ragsland but like you said it gets way too expensive when you have more than 1. It is all so cute though. Get you a machine and try again. I was amazed at how it all came back to me. I would love to have an embroidery machine but they are so expensive. That is one of the million things on my "one day" list! I have finally found someone here who monograms very reasonably.

Rebecca said...

I learned the basics in high school...a long time ago! I thought the style you did looked familiar but I couldn't put my finger on it so when Jenn said pillow case dress I said "ah, yes".

Anyway, I am the same way....to quote what you said..."start projects but never finish them. I am a perfectionist and because I couldn't make it perfect I would get frustrated and just give up."

Only, I can't give up the perfectionism....

Girl, you have got talent! You did fabulous job! Love it!

The Adairs said...

those dresses are awesome! way to go cam!