These are 2 questions that we get a lot lately. Lots of people asked us those questions when we were home for Christmas. It is so nice to know people really care about your lives! This is demonstrated to us over and over in so many different ways. So, since we got back from Christmas break I have been intending to do a post on this and now I am finally sitting down to do it. We have been here 3 years! WOW! When we moved here we were thinking (well more me than A) that we could be finished in 3 years-HA!!! All our Seminary friends know exactly what I mean! I remember meeting people who said oh we've been here 7 years or whatever and I was thinking what are these people doing. Well, now I know. They are trying to maintain some sanity while working, and being a spouse and parent, and keeping up with the unbelievable demands of being a Seminary student. It is just one of those situations where you have no idea until you've been there and done that. When we first got here A worked part time and was able to take more hours but it was still rough. We saw very little of him which was so hard being in a new place, etc. After less than a year he began working full time and started taking less classes. Also, after that first semester he realized that yes he had been called to Seminary and he had to do that but that he had us to take care of us as well. I have gained more respect for that man by watching him balance it all than by anything else. I also have gained a lot of insight into the pressures men feel. He struggled with what God would do with him during this phase (other than being a student), he struggled with being the provider, he struggled with making his wife and children happy after they left everything they knew, and the list goes on. I say struggled but he continues to struggle with some of these things at times, just like we all struggle. I guess what I am trying to say is that it was not until we dealt with some of those things that I became much more understanding of males and that they really do have concerns despite the stereotype given to them that they don't have a care in the world. All of that to say that this has been and continues to be quite a journey! As of right now (and I say that carefully because I am well aware that anything can happen) we have 3 semester left including the one he starts this week which is roughly a year and a half (May 2009 which seems like such a short time to us. What next? Only God knows! Some of our friends here are working up some pretty good schemes to get us to stay here. I have to say that I do love it here. OK, I said it-I love Texas. Did I really just say that? The people here are just great and we have made so many wonderful friends and we joke that we will be getting out of here as soon as we are finished with school but who knows. That did not used to be a joke, however-I was for real! The one thing wrong with being here is the distance we are from our families. Sunday afternoons still get to me, holidays still get to me, birthdays still get to me and no I am not a traitor-I still love the deep south! Always will. So, our desires are to be closer to our family (whether that means an hour east of here or in the same state). We would be thrilled to be called back to AL or even the surrounding states. If God called us to stay in this area, we would be good. This has become another home to us. The reality is God may call us much further away or He may call us closer to our families or He may want us to stay right here in this place called Texas! Another wonderful thing I have learned is there is no place like the place God calls you to be! So your prayer for us over the next year and a half can be for us to seek God's will for our lives and for it to be clear to us where He wants us and for us to not allow our personal preferences to get in the way. Another words, pray that I don't tell God I'm going to AL no matter what HE says! On a funny note, last week a friend and former pastor of ours was in town for a conference and he is the Director of Missions for one of the associations in AL and A was going to have lunch with him. A calls and says he is going to have lunch with Bro. Ken and the others at the conference (meaning a conference full of DOM's) so I say, "yes honey you go enjoy your lunch and make sure you get to know all the DOM's from AL, GA, TN, and FL!" As usual he just laughed at me! That night he said something about a DOM from Birmingham and I said oh I love Birmingham! One thing for sure I won't be saying where I won't go! I used to say I would never leave AL and well, you know the rest. I am so glad I allowed God to talk me into this! I still long for "home" but we have grown so much through this experience. Thank you all for your part in our lives. We love you all!
Tuesday, January 15, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Cameron, you are right on in all of your insigts! Know that you are also blessed to get Seminary done all at one time, even if it takes more than 3 yrs. (It took us 16 yrs and 3 moves back to TX) I miss AL, too, and ALL my family, but you are especially right about how sweet it is to be exactly where God calls you to be! There is NOWHERE on Earth that I would rather be than at Calvary BC, Hamilton, TX, loving and leading these precious people God has called us to serve and serve Him along side in building His Kingdom!
Keep pressign on and we will certainly keep praying with you for the Lord's Will to be done in your lives!
Love ya, Shannon
Isn't God amazing! He knows what it takes for us to grow....usually it's taking us out of our comfort zone (home) to spread our wing & fly just like leaving the nest.
Every thing you said is so true and you know those of us who relate to this 100% are shaking our heads in agreement!
We are lucky to be living in our century. Just think.....there was a time when there wasn't computers to email, phones to call home, and when people moved far away, well, it was FAR away! Parents would cry when their daughter married and followed her husband across country with a wagon train. Then it would take, what seemed forever, to get a letter saying they arrived safely and claimed some land. Later the kids have their own kids but their parents don't get to watch them grow through pictures etc...in fact, I don't think they got to see their grand kids till they were a little older so there was never a close relationship.
(I can see you laughing at me lol...you are probably shankin your head thinking "She's a MESS!) LOL!
My girls miss grandma and poppy so bad, and Jason's dad still hasn't met Michael, only in pictures and fortunately little video clips. Thank God for bloggin!
Anyway, I am praying for ya!
Lets get coffee again....SOON!
Shannon,
There were times especially in that first year that I didn't think we could stick it out but maybe we can now! Yall DID finish after all that time! That is such a testimony that you did finish because you know like I do that so many never come back. You and I have talked before about small churches and they get a bad rap sometimes because the problems that all churches have are just more obvious but your church had such a sweet spirit when we visited. It was a wonderful day! Also, we talked a lot before you moved about getting used to living in the city and then moving to the country and the day we were in Hamilton I told Aaron I could get used to that laid back life again! Of course the first time I needed to run to Wal-Mart at midnight I might not like it! Anyway, I am proud for yall and what God has done in your lives! I miss you!
Rebecca,
You are so right about the blessing of technology. You know Aaron's parents are missionaries in South America and it has been wonderful for them to at least see the girls in pictures. The blog has been great for keeping them informed as well. They have only met Lizzie once when she was 11 months and they will meet Millie this summer when she is 11 months. Breaks our hearts but they are doing what God has called them to do and that example is the best thing they can do for our girls (and us). Coffee! Anytime. Well, actually Mon nt is my only free night during the week now. I am not sure how that works with your schedule with Jason. We will get it together.
Hi there...I'm kelly {of fabulous k} and I have a little secret for you...I AM GIVING YOU A BLOG MAKEOVER! I am not even going to put you in the drawing because you have been so sweet with each and every one of you comments...I am just going to give you one! So, please email me and we can talk about colors, etc.
fabulouskdesigns@yahoo.com
I enjoyed visiting your blog...your girls are precious! :)
Post a Comment