Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Our home away from home away from home

Confusing I know but we have lots of homes and are so blessed by them all. It is such a blessing to be able to meet so many different people who are all so different and a special part of our lives.

Saturday night was our first night to spend in the parsonage at the church where Aaron is now interim so I thought it would be neat for all of our friends and family to be able to see our home away from home away from home. It is a lot of hard work to get us there and back with the packing, etc. but it is a nice break from the normal and hopefully it will get easier. We took a good bit of stuff over there this weekend and from now on it should just be mostly our clothes to take with us. The parsonage is a good size and is in the country so it is nice and quit and lots of room for the girls to run and play inside and out. They have gone above and beyond to make us feel "at home." They had comfortable beds set up for all of us and had cleaned really well and had the carpet cleaned. I can't tell you how many people told us to make a list of anything we need while we are there and they will get it for us. They offered to keep paper goods there so we don't have to worry about washing a lot of dishes. We have already been so blessed. They love on our children. God is GREAT!

The services went really well on Sunday. We went to our aged Sunday School class and it was neat to be a part of that. They were intimidated by us being in there. We thought that was funny (intimidated by us?) and quickly told them NOT to be intimidated by us. They are a very conservative group and we love that. It is becoming harder and harder to find groups of Christians who are truly conservative. Worship was great and we had a couple who visited last week come back this week and joined. We had a lady and one of her sons visit last week and they were back this week along with another son. We also had another new couple visit this week. Aaron is LOVING being able to preach each week. Something that actually adds to our schedule has brought so much peace as well. Once again, God is GREAT!

Small Texas towns are really similar to Alabama towns. After church one of the ladies took us to eat at one of the local diners and the windows were decorated with footballs that read "Go Panthers." Elleigh said, "they really must like football here." We felt right at "home"! That along with the fact that everyone in the restaurant turned around when we walked in the door trying to figure out who we were!

We go through lots of small towns and they all look so much alike. I can't remember now which town this is.

We actually see a few hills along our drive. We are not used to seeing those around here.Lots of cows. Also, makes us feel at "home" We have lots of farmers and ranchers in the church so we asked the difference because in AL we just call them all farmers. We were told that if you have cattle you are a rancher. Makes sense. Plus, it just sounds more Texan to say Rancher!I cannot tell you how many pumpjacks we see along our drive. Also, those are sunflowers in that picture as well and they are very abundant. Lots of cactiWheat fields for miles and miles. It is just being planted now. The sign for the church. It is "A Caring Country Church"The outside of the sanctuaryA in the kitchen at the parsonageThe girls in the dining room with a fellowship hall table-works for us.The little girls in their roomEll in her roomThe parsonage actually used to be another church years ago (Assembly of God I think they told us) so the living room/sanctuary is huge and has big vaulted ceilings.

My babies before church

4 comments:

JGWmom said...

Looks and sounds so familiar! I'm so glad y'all are enjoying it! I will continue to pray for y'all and the church! I know God will continue to bless!!!
Love y'all,
Shannon

Rebecca said...

our drive looks exactly the same while we were driving to CO for vacation. I took a picture of a pumpjack too! There are a lot of them!

Thanks for posting the pictures, I keep trying to visualize everything. I'm really excited for y'all and thought it was really cute that some where intimidated by you guys lol

It's exciting to watch the Lord work!

The Hall's said...

Yes, that is pretty funny for someone to be intimidated by US isn't it!

The May Family said...

It just looks like you are living "The great Adventure". I know God is blessing you and all you are going to do there. You are already a wonderful wife and mother, so I can't wait to read all your stories about the life with Pastor Aaron in small town, TX!

I have you a little football treat. Amy Hudson will get it to you when she gets home. I wanted to, but just couldn't bring myself to send you the Auburn tattoos...HA!

Miss y'all! Give the girls some hugs for us!!